California Irvine Mission

California Irvine Mission

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bad times have a scientific value

February 2, 2015



Hola Familia!!!

   I'm happy to be writing you. This week has been good and the work is progressing. We finally were able to confirm one of our recent baptisms, Marco, and I was able to participate in that and it was a very cool experience. Due to our change in areas that is taking place, and now that Elder Tellez and I are going to be taking over San Clemente, we don't have to many investigators. We just have to go find a new pool.  But they're here somewhere! Haha and we'll find them, I have no doubt. It just takes talking to everyone, which is easier when you're a missionary. 
   On Tuesday, I went on intercambios with Elder Budd. He is from Colorado, and he has only been out 1 transfer (6 weeks) longer than me. I was very excited to go with Elder Budd because he has became one of my better friends out here, and Him and I get along really well.. The only problem was our Spanish. I don't think I've ever prayed more fervently for the Gift of Tongues then I did on Tuesday with Elder Budd. And our prayers didn't stop there, I think we mentioned it in every prayer we said from the beginning of the exchange, to the end. We set out into a little Mexican neighborhood ready to put our faith to the test. At first, I was a little nervous to talk, but I remembered our Companionship study in the morning and we talked about how our Goal was to bear strong testimony to every person we talked with. We decided that if we really do have the same conviction as Abinidi, then these people's salvation was really on our backs, and we weren't going to let any slip through our fingers. Looking back, I can see that we set ourselves up for a miracle, but then, I felt like I was going to throw up. BUT, when I opened my mouth, instead of vomit, I was spewing Spanish everywhere! Haha it was amazing. Elder Budd and I were speaking Spanish to everyone, and bearing testimony to everyone. We ended up teaching 5 lessons that day, with many more contacts. The Lord sustains his missionaries and he strengthens their weaknesses. It was one of the best days of my mission.
   My week has overall felt kind of slow and trying. Although I've been able to keep my motivation, I began to ponder more on times that... well, they just stink. And while I was thinking about this, a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson popped into my head, I'm 100% sure that it was the Holy Ghost teaching me by making this quote resurface. The quote goes like this, "Bad times have a scientific value, these are occasions that a good learner would not miss" . Now, I would not consider myself a good learner. At all. Actually, I would strongly consider myself as a teacher's worst nightmare. Hahaha. But this quote helped me to see, and think, with an Eternal Perspective. Some of the trials that I feel that I've been facing are nothing more then opportunities. It immediately pulled me out of any self pity that I may have been wallowing in, kicked me in the pants, and told me to get back to work. I am so thankful for a Heavenly Father that loves us. We may not understand all the mysteries of God, but we can understand that He loves us. And when we understand that, blocks begin to fall into place. Love is the reason for everything, even for trials. I hope everyone has a great week!!

Con Muchisimo Amor,

Elder Dallin Fuell

No comments:

Post a Comment